Ingredients for 1 cup of coffee
- Ground Coffee (fine) - 25gm
- Hot Water (90°C - 95°C) - 250ml
- Start with cold, filtered water.
- To measure the amount of water you need, use the coffee cup you are going to serve in. The rule of thumb is 11⁄2 measures of water in that cup.
- For each cup of coffee, use a heaping tablespoon of ground coffee (10 gm).
- Put coffee and water in a Cezve (a special wide-bottomed pot, usually made of copper).
- Slowly, bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. This will take 3-4 minutes, so keep a close eye on it. As the coffee warms, a dark foam will build.
- It is customary and important to serve Turkish coffee with foam on top. When the mixture is close to a boil, use a teaspoon to transfer some of the foam into each coffee cup. Return the coffee pot to the stovetop.
- As coffee comes to a boil, pour half the coffee into the cups, over the foam. Return the coffee pot to the stovetop and boil the remaining coffee for an additional 10-15 seconds, before filling the cups to the rim.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- To make sure everyone enjoys their beverage, always serve Turkish coffee with cold (or room temperature) water. A sip of water allows the person to clear his/her palate before drinking coffee.
- In addition to water, Turkish coffee is also served with small sweet treats like Turkish Delights, chocolate, candy, etc.